Banana Cream Pie
A delicious dessert!
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups Shamrock Farms Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Shamrock Farms Heavy Cream whipped to stiff peaks with 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 pounds bananas, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Shaved chocolate
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Combine the egg yolks, cornstarch and 1 cup of the heavy cream in a small bowl and whisk to blend well. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining 2 cups cream, 1 1/2 cups of the sugar and the vanilla bean in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to dissolve the sugar and bring it to a gentle boil, about 10 minutes. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Be forewarned: the mixture will break.
- Pour it into a glass bowl. Press a piece of plastic wrap down over the surface of the mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool completely at room temperature.
- When cooled, remove the vanilla bean and pour the mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a wire whip. Beat at medium speed to combine the mixture. If it will not combine, warm another 1/2 cup heavy cream and slowly add it to the mixture. Whip until you have a thick and creamy custard.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and the mashed banana in a large mixing bowl. Thoroughly mix together.
- Add the butter and mix well. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and bake until browned, about 25 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes.