Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
By April Miller
Shamrock Farms Holiday 2010 Winner
- 1/2 cup Shamrock Farms Sour Cream
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced (you can also use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 bag baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion -1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 8oz can green chile enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup canola oil
In a small skillet (6 or 8 in), heat canola oil. When hot fry one tortilla at a time (about 1 minute per side). Tortillas should be only slightly crisp on the edges, but very pliable. Drain on paper towels.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a preheated skillet add 1 tbsp olive oil, saute onion until translucent. Add garlic then immediately add all the spinach and stir until all of it is wilted. Set aside. Reserve 1 tbsp each of the cilantro and green onion for serving. In a bowl, add chicken, cilantro, green onion, soup, Shamrock Sour Cream, and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir together then stir in the spinach mixture.
In a casserole dish, pour enchilada sauce to just cover the bottom of the dish. Assemble the enchiladas by putting a heavy spoonful of the filling on a corn tortilla then fold the ends over one another and place seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat until the dish is full. Top with enchilada sauce (use as little or as much as you want, the more you use the saucier your enchiladas will be - I use just enough to coat the tortillas but they aren't drowning in sauce). Top with remaining cheese, cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes. When done, let rest for 10 minutes then serve.
Top with more Shamrock Sour Cream and more cilantro/green onion if you prefer.