Caramelized Apple Crème Brulee
Chef Tammy Kellam / Fire Rock Country Club
- CRÈME BRULEE:
- 16 ounces Shamrock Farms Heavy Cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 ounces granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- APPLE FILLING:
- 6 tablespoons Shamrock Farms Butter
- 12 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 Granny Smith apples, small diced
- CINNAMON WHIP CREAM:
- 4 ounces Shamrock Farms Heavy Cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- SUGAR TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a heavy sauce pan add cream, 2 ounces of sugar, cinnamon stick and cinnamon extract. Heat the mixture to just under a boil, remove cinnamon stick. In a separate bowl whisk together the yolks and the remaining sugar. Once the cream is heated, slowly whisk hot cream into the yolk mixture. Add mixture to the prepared ramekins.
In a shallow pan, add the ramekins and warm water halfway up the ramekins. Place in a 350-degree F oven and cover with a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the custard is set. When you shake the cup, it should pull away slightly from the edge of the cup. Remove ramekins from pan and place in the refrigerator to cool, at least 2 hours. Once cool, add the cinnamon sugar and caramelize using a torch. Garnish with cinnamon whipped cream and a tablespoon of the reserved apple mixture.
In a large pan over high heat, add butter; once the butter is melted, add brown sugar. Stir until sugar is wet. Add the apples and cook until the apples are tender and the syrup is thickened. Add mixture to 8 ramekins, reserving 1/2 cup of mixture.
Cinnamon Whip Cream:
In a cold bowl, add the cream and whip until stiff; add the remaining ingredients and continue whisking until combined.
In a small bowl, mix to combine. Reserve mixture to caramelize on top of the Brulée.